Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BÅ“uf bourguignion: How do I Spell Thee?

Julie Child's Boeuf Bourguignon
My French today may only consist of cooking a French recipe. I began making bœuf bourguignion last night... however I substituted bison in the recipe. Why bison? Because it is more like the beef of which old recipes are created. If I had grass-fed beef from Argentina it would have done nicely.

This recipe is classic Burgundian fare. It's so well known that there are several choices of how to spell beef and burgundy. According to a Wikipedia article, spelling choices include: bÅ“uf à la bourguignonne, bÅ“uf bourguignon, beef bourguignonne and then there is the 4th spelling I used above. Clearly, there is the usual mash-up of English and French going on here.




No comments:

Post a Comment