Thursday, December 15, 2011

About my readers, and my trip to French-speaking India.

To all those of you who are reading this blog: Thank you for dropping in to see what fun learning French can be (or not sometimes). I believe I have quite a following in Great Britain and France and a smattering of other countries in Asia, Europe, South America, South Africa, Russia, and many more. Maybe someday I will tabulate it all for fun and let you all know the interesting places people are studying French.


Mentioning interesting countries that speak French: Last year I made a bargain with my husband to visit India as long as we could stop in Ponducherry, a part of India that was colonized by the French and given liberty to join India in the 1960s. After spending a week in Delhi (visiting with a friend who was teaching English there) we went on to Pondicherry and stayed for a week. They have an Alliance Française there which functions to train locals in French so they can work in
Pondicherry beach and promenade.
government jobs. All the streets are named in French. There are remnants of the French influence. But most of the people there speak Tamal or Hindi. Pondicherry is a good vacation stop if you like your weather warm-to-hot. It has a really beautiful view of the Bay of Bengal. It is just one more fascinating spot to see in India.

I have so much material to write about for my other blog: french60andmore.blogspot.com that it might be a while before I can write in any depth about that trip. But check out the blog anyway, I post about every two weeks on a "Learning French" topic.

Tonight I am returning to a method of tackling irregular verbs I used last year. It is tried and true: play some French Christmas carols, even the corny ones, and put some rhythm into that repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment