Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making Mistakes in French

I was breezing through and laughing at the stories Laura K. Lawless accumulated from her readers at…
 worst-french-mistakes
It occurred to me that subconsciously I may actually remember the mistake instead of the correct word or phrase. 

While raising a child, I read that you should never tell a child not to do something because all they actually hear is the "something" not the "don't do it" message. I tested this out on my little one and found that this was quite true. If I phrased things so that I could avoid instructing a negative and instead employ a positive statement, all went really well. Example: "Don't slam the door!" versus "Please shut the door quietly."

So is it a mistake to expose oneself to errors this way? I leave that as a rhetorical question for all to ponder.

I must say though, that when I've found myself caught making this kind of error, the laughter or negative reaction definitely makes sure that you never make the same mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment