Thursday, March 22, 2012

Immediacy, the recent past, and the near future en française

Reviewing my French for daily French is never a bad choice. While I am the person who never sees a movie twice (within 10 years) and rarely reads a book twice, in contrast I am the person who will review grammar and always find that there is something more that I overlooked or didn't quite digest previously.

In the case of le présent I am going through various resources to find those overlooked gems:

Case one: "I see, I am seeing and I do see" are all translated into French as je vois. If you want to say that you are in the middle of saying something the phrase would be "Je suis en train de voir".

Case two:  The present tense of venir plus the preposition de plus the infinitive of a transitive verb means something happened in the recent past. "Je vienne de voir quelque chose." means  "I just saw something."

Case three:  The present tense of aller plus the infinitive of a transitive verb means something is going to happen in the near future. "Je vais manger une pomme." means "I'm going to eat an apple."


No comments:

Post a Comment