Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Nouveaux amis: They are Everywhere and It Is Magic

"Make new friends, but keep the old, 
one is silver but the other gold."

I learned to sing this aphorism* in about third grade elementary school. According to Dictionary.com, the word "aphorism" derives from old French and Latin (of course).

I met with a new acquaintance today just to get to know her better. To my surprise, she has lived in France and her sister married a Frenchman and lives there now. Why is it that since I began studying French almost 2 years ago now, I keep meeting people with a "French connection"?

When I ventured into learning French I really had no expectations of it introducing me to so many people through the classes. I also didn't expect to find that so many other people I have met since beginning French studies would have had so many interesting experiences either in France or studying French. Quelle surprise! If I study Icelandic, will I just happen to meet people from Iceland? Maybe life works in magical ways.

*  aph·o·rism [af-uh-riz-uhm] a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation

No comments:

Post a Comment