Thursday, November 1, 2012

My “A Little French Every Day" Habit is Paying Off



artinhearth.blogspot.com

If you have read earlier blog entries you know that I began studying French intensively 2.5 years ago. I have taken many classes in Minneapolis and Paris. Now I am in a pattern of taking almost weekly tutorial classes with my teacher, Maïwenn (pronounced my-when). When I began this blog almost a year ago, it was for 3 reasons: to share my experience, to write daily, and to create a daily habit of doing something everyday to improve my French-- even if it was reading one short newspaper article in French or a grammar worksheet.

So, I am pleased to relate I have had some really nice experiences in the past week or so that have made my pursuit of French quite rewarding. For instance, I was just reading the weekly announcements from my local L’Alliance Française and realized that I wasn’t thinking at all about that it was written in French. Another realization came to me when a French friend stopped by to visit us on her U.S. itinerary and my husband and I discussed many topics with her for hours… all in French. Granted, she’s a French teacher and speaks very clearly, but this is a big leap in comprehension and comfort zone for me.

So, fellow French students, it is never too late to dive into another language and make serious progress in a short time. One of my fears when I began studying French is that I wouldn’t be able to learn as well as when I was younger and in school. Let’s face it; I’ve practically aged out of the work force. But I have always kept up with practical technologies such as using computer spreadsheets and word processing software. The commonly accepted myth is that adults don’t learn as well as younger students. The thing is… I might not learn as fast as I once might have, but I do have much better strategies which can speed up mastering material better than I ever did before. And, that accounts a lot for my steady progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment