Saturday, September 15, 2012

Is Kew the same as "Q"?

Stephen Fry, center, is the ring leader of the show.
I have read that there are about 300,000 expatriate French living around London. So far I haven't encountered a lot of people speaking French. My ears do sometimes have a problem understanding BBC and Londoner's English. Last night I was watching BBC2 while trying to fall asleep.

There was a game show on our hotel TV last night , Q.I., which stands for "quite interesting". The night's theme of the show was words that begin with the letter "j". Did you know there are 28 different definitions for the word "jigger" in the English language? Anyway, it reminded me how frustrating it can be to learn new words in French only to find out that they have so many related and non-related meanings it's difficult to figure out what those using French mean to communicate. So, like English, context can tell you a lot more than a dictionary.

Just a tiny piece of The Kew Gardens
We headed out for Kew Gardens this morning. The weather is so perfect I keep checking to make sure I am in England. The 10 day forecasts projected cloudy and cloudier but not rain. Go weather predictors! You are wrong once again in my favor. Despite visiting London several times before in the past, I have never made it to these gardens because it takes a while to get there (maybe an hour by the time you connect with the train at Waterloo station after you find out the underground train is shut down for maintenance for the week end); it takes a few hours to walk around in it; and preferably the weather is agreeable.

Tonight we are going to the theatre: "Yes, Mr. Prime Minister" would seem to be something like going to Brave New Workshop in Minneapolis... at least on the political-comedy end. www.yesprimeminister.co.uk/tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment